I never thought I would make my own jam. It seemed like a ton of work; I have memories of my Mom making massive batches of jam with fresh strawberries when I was a kid. I’m glad I decided to experiment and discovered how simple jam-making can be! We love this sweet berry jam on toast, millet squares, oatmeal, and more!
Berry Chia Jam (Refined Sugar Free)
- 4 cups berries (fresh or frozen-see note)
- 1/4 cup date syrup (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/07/15/date-syrup/)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Add berries to a pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook berries until they start to break down and bubble (about 5 minutes).
- Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- If there are still whole berries remaining, mash them. (optional-see notes)
- Stir in date syrup and chia seeds. Simmer uncovered until the jam thickens (10-12 minutes).
- Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator. The jam will thicken after refrigeration.
- Using fresh or defrosted fruit will speed up the process.
- We usually like to use 2 cups of frozen raspberries with 2 cups of triple berry mix (blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries).
- We have also made this jam using strawberries, blueberries, and other berry mixes depending on what we have on hand.
- Mashing the berries is an extra optional step. We typically mash the berries when using larger frozen berries (ex: whole frozen strawberries), or when we see that some of the berries haven’t broken down fully.
© 2020 Plant Fit Meg