Sweet and Spicy Breakfast Bowl - Apple Ginger Turmeric Bowl
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa – or whole grain of choice (oat groats, rice, farro etc..)
- 1/2 cup leftover cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup cooked red or green lentils (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 apple, chopped – divided in half *see note
- 1/2 cup apple sauce – divided in half *see note
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds (or chia seeds)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Add quinoa, cauliflower rice, lentils, ginger, turmeric, about half of the apple chunks, and half of the apple sauce to a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and warm in the microwave for one minute (or until it’s warmed to your liking).
- Add remaining ingredients: other half apple, other half apple sauce, shredded carrot, ground flax seeds, and cinnamon.
- Mix and enjoy!
- My preference is to add half of the apple and apple sauce initially so that some of the apple chunks are warmed and slightly softer. I like the contrast of textures between the softer warm apples, with the cool crisp apples and shredded carrot. You can put all of the ingredients in a bowl to warm together instead if you prefer.
- This bowl can be made without the ginger and turmeric (or lesser amounts) to suit your taste preference.
- To add more sweetness, simply add more fruit, more apple sauce, raisins, chopped dates, or date syrup.
- I also like to switch up the fruit sometimes with some mango, pineapple and/or berries.