When I first went plant-based, I ate a lot of whole wheat pasta with this simple marinara sauce. I still enjoy pasta from time to time, and also adore this sauce over veggies, quinoa, or rice!
Easy Veggie Marinara Sauce (Oil Free)
- 1 can (794 g / 28 oz) diced tomatoes with liquid (or 2.5 cups freshly diced tomatoes + 1 cup water)
- 1 can (156 ml / 5.5 fl oz) tomato paste (or 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (or 1.5 tsp basil, 1.5 tsp oregano)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes
- optional: 1/2 tsp date syrup (or maple syrup-see note)
- Mix all ingredients over medium-high heat on the stovetop for 5-10 minutes. The consistency will be quite thick; it will thin slightly as it simmers.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Enjoy on top of your favourite pasta, grain, potatoes, or vegetables!
- We like our veggies to be slightly crisp. If you prefer a softer texture, you can cook the onion and peppers for a few minutes first, before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Sugar is often used in tomato-based sauces to balance the acidity. We don’t use any sweetener in our sauce, but you can add date syrup (or maple syrup) 1/2 tsp at a time to achieve desired flavour.
© 2020 Plant Fit Meg