I love oats of all kinds – quick, rolled, steel cut, or groats. You name the oats, I love ’em all! I like to switch it up often, but the current favourite in our household is this sweet, cinnamon-y baked steel cut oat recipe.
Baked Steel Cut Oats - Apple Carrot Cinnamon
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 shredded apple (1 cup)
- 1 shredded carrot (1/2-2/3 cup)
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla powder)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
- Add to baking dish (we have made this recipe using either an 8” x 11” or a square 8” x 8” dish)
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (see notes)
- Allow to cool slightly before serving
- Add additional toppings if desired – more shredded carrot, shredded zucchini, your favourite fruit, nuts, or raisins.
- The steel cut oats will be oatmeal style – they will not solidify.
- The longer the bake time, the drier the finished product will be. When using the 8 x 11” baking dish, we allow it to cook for 45 minutes, and tend to leave the oats in the oven longer when using the smaller 8 x 8″ square pan.
© 2020 Plant Fit Meg