Easy Sweet Potato Chili - Vegan, Whole Food Plant-Based
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 1 can (28 oz) diced or crushed tomatoes with liquid (or about 2.5 cups freshly diced tomatoes + 1 cup water)
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1 can (19 oz) mixed beans drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked beans of your choice)
- 1 diced red onion
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 cubed sweet potato
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup bulgur (optional-see note)
- 2 slices pickled jalapeño, finely chopped (optional-see note)
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups water (see note)
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and mix thoroughly.
- Warm over medium-high heat on the stovetop until it starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sweet potato and carrots are cooked through.
- Stir occasionally and add more water as desired.
- Use any canned or cooked beans you prefer.
- Bulgur adds a bit of texture to the chili, but it can be omitted.
- Add more or less jalapeño, based on your taste preferences. I recommend starting with less and adding more if desired – taste as you go.
- We use about 2 cups of water in this recipe. We prefer our chili to be quite thick so that we can use it as a burrito or taco filling. Add more water to achieve your desired consistency.
We enjoy this chili:
- with a side of broccoli
- with some riced cauliflower mixed in
- over a bed of greens
- as a taco or burrito filling