The sun is coming out and it’s burger time! These black bean burgers are easy to put together with minimal ingredients and they taste amazing! They are kid-approved, family approved, and made with wholesome ingredients, like: black beans, oats, onion, and mushrooms. As an added bonus, this recipe is also versatile for use as a beefless crumble for pasta, as a taco fill, or to jazz up a tofu scramble. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to purchase through the Amazon links below, I receive a small commission from each sale at NO extra cost to you. All proceeds go back into making more content.
We like to prepare the burger patty mixture in our Kitchenaid 11 Cup Food Processor. We have prepared the burger patties on our Cuisinart Griddler and baked them in the oven. We cover our baking sheet with a Silicone Baking Mat to prevent sticking. Directions for grilling on the Griddler and baking are listed below for your convenience.
Check out the Plant Fit Meg Amazon Shop for recommended reading, pantry staples, fitness equipment, and more! As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
8 Ingredient Black Bean and Mushroom Burgers (Vegan, Oil Free, Nut Free)
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped (or 1/2 large onion ~ 1 cup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (2 cups cooked black beans)
- 2.5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Montreal steak spice (or seasoning of choice)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp miso (or soy sauce)
- Water sauté onion and garlic in a pan over medium-high heat until softened. (*optional – see note)
- Add all ingredients to food processor and process until smooth.
- Form into 8-10 patties. I use a large cookie scoop and flatten and shape the patties with a fork (*see note).
Cooking Instructions – Cuisinart Griddler
- Set to grill setting, and set the temperature setting between high and sear.
- Grill for 5-10 minutes per side.
Cooking Instructions – Oven
- Preheat oven to 375 F, and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Flip and bake another 5-10 minutes
- Cooking the onion and garlic is optional. If skipping this step, add 2-4 tbsp of water to the ingredients to help the mixture come together in the food processor.
- Make smaller or larger patties as desired. The cooking time may differ slightly (less time for smaller ones and more time for larger ones).
- To prevent sticking, use a wet fork to flatten and shape the patties.
- If the mixture seems a bit sticky, refrigerate the patties for a few minutes before cooking.