This hearty homemade shepherd’s pie is our favourite holiday recipe! Serve alongside roasted or steamed vegetables for a delicious festive meal.
Shepherd's Pie (Vegan, Whole Food Plant-Based)
- Spinach Mashed Potatoes (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/10/07/recipe-spinach-mashed-potatoes-stovetop-or-instant-pot/) or your favourite mashed potato recipe
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cups cooked mixed vegetables (peas & carrots or your favourite mix)
- 1.5 cups cooked green/brown lentils or yellow split peas
- Vegan Gravy (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/10/06/recipe-vegan-gravy/) or 1 cup of your favourite gravy
- Cook lentils or yellow split peas according to package instructions (or drain and rinse canned).
- Steam or boil vegetables (or use canned).
- Cook onion over medium-high heat until caramelized, adding splashes of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Make Vegan Gravy – https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/10/06/recipe-vegan-gravy/
- Make Spinach Mashed Potatoes (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/10/07/recipe-spinach-mashed-potatoes-stovetop-or-instant-pot/)
- While potatoes are cooking, mix the cooked lentils, vegetables, onions, and gravy in a large bowl.
- Spread lentil, veggie, gravy mixture in large baking dish. (We use an 8 x 11″ dish.)
- Layer mashed potatoes on top and gently smooth the top with a spatula or fork.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until browned on top. (Broil a few minutes for extra browning if desired.)
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with your favourite vegetables.
Note: This recipe is very versatile and can be adjusted with simple modifications to suit your tastes.
© 2020 Plant Fit Meg