These chickpea burgers are scrumptious! We’ve been working on a recipe for a while to keep it simple, but not sacrifice on flavour. These delicious burgers are delicious as a traditional burger on a bun with ketchup, mustard, and your favourite toppings. They can also be enjoyed as a patty served on a bed of greens, or alongside your favourite veggies.
PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to purchase through the Amazon links below, I receive a small commission from each sale at NO extra cost to you. All proceeds go back into making more content.
We like to prepare the burger patty mixture in our Kitchenaid 11 cup food processor. We have prepared the burger patties on our charcoal grill and baked in the oven. Either way, they are so tasty! Directions for grilling and baking are listed below for your convenience.
Check out the Plant Fit Meg Amazon Shop for recommended reading, pantry staples, fitness equipment, and more! As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smoky BBQ Chickpea Burgers (Vegan, Oil Free)
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce – https://plantfitmeg.com/2021/08/04/recipe-barbecue-sauce-vegan-oil-free/ (or substitute tomato paste)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt free steak spice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2-4 tbsp water *see note
- Add all ingredients to food processor and process until smooth.
- Form into patties. I use a large cookie scoop and flatten the patties slightly with my hands.
- Refrigerate 10-15 minutes
Cooking Instructions – Charcoal Grill
- Prepare and light grill
- Grill for 10 minutes
- Continue cooking for 5-10 minutes flipping regularly until cooked through and desired colour is reached
Cooking Instructions – Oven
- Preheat oven to 375 F, and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Flip and bake another 5-10 minutes
- Start with 2 or 3 tbsp water. Add more liquid as needed to help the mixture come together. If the mix is too moist, add more oats 1 tbsp at a time.