I love eating oatmeal for breakfast! I switch it up a lot, but I have been enjoying this Berry Jammy Oatmeal that combines oat groats mixed with berries, berry chia jam, shredded zucchini, shredded carrot, and ground flax seeds. I have also made this recipe using steel cut oats, rolled oats, or leftover rice instead of oat groats. When cooking oat groats, I prepare a big batch in the Instant Pot (at high pressure for 20 minutes, with a 20 minute natural release).
Berry Jammy Oatmeal
by: Plant Fit Meg
- 1/2 cup cooked oats groats (or any whole grain you prefer)*see note
- 1/2 cup berries (frozen or fresh)*see note
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 berry chia jam (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/07/11/berry-chia-jam/)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- optional toppings: seeds, nuts, or extra fruit
- Cook oat groats according to package instructions. I cook a large batch of oat groats in the instant pot on high pressure for 20 minutes, with a 20 minute natural release.
- If the berries are frozen, allow to thaw or place them in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add warm oat groats, shredded zucchini, shredded carrot, berry chia jam, and ground flax seeds.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Optional: Top with seeds, nuts, or extra fruit.
- I have also made this recipe using steel cut oats, rolled oats, or leftover rice instead of oat groats.
- If using fresh berries, you can add them to the other ingredients in step 3, or put them on top of your oatmeal once the other ingredients are mixed together.
- I sometimes top this oatmeal with extra berries, hemp seeds, walnuts, ground flax seeds and/or ground chia seeds.