We love French toast, especially during the holiday season. French toast was an old favourite before going vegan, and I was thrilled to find a way to recreate the flavours in a simple vegan version. We cook them using our Cuisinart Griddler (Amazon Affiliate Link). The grill is easy to operate, non-stick, and a great addition to our kitchen! We use it often for hash browns, pancakes, waffles, tofu, and more!
Easy Vegan French Toast
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 2 tbsp flour (whole wheat or oat)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- 1 cup plant milk (soy or almond)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 slices of bread (I like to use Silver Hills or Ezekiel bread)
- Set Griddler to “Griddle” setting and set temperature to 350 F or preheat pan on stovetop over medium heat. *see note
- Add all ingredients (except for bread) in a deep dish”
- Whisk and allow to rest for a few minutes to thicken slightly
- Coat bread with mixture (both sides), and place onto griddle (or in pan).
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes or until the batter starts to look dry and the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip and cook another few minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy topped with maple syrup, date syrup, apple sauce, or jam.
- I use my Cuisinart Griddler for this recipe. The French toast can also be prepared in a non-stick pan on the stovetop, or using a different griddle.
This recipe is featured in this video: