Lentils in oats? It might sound a bit odd if you’ve never tried it before, but the lentils blend with the other flavours in the dish and are almost undetectable. This combination of oats with blueberries, lentils, and shredded carrot is our current family favourite. We’ve been topping our oats with berry chia jam, or a jam and powdered peanut butter combo that I call PB & J Mix (see note in the recipe below for measurements). Let us know if you give this recipe a try!
Baked Blueberry Oats with Lentils (Vegan, Whole Food Plant Based)
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 shredded carrot (1/2-2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup plant milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp date syrup (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/07/15/date-syrup/) or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
- Add to baking dish (we use an 8” x 8” dish)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes
- Allow to cool slightly before serving
- Add additional toppings if desired – more blueberries or your favourite fruit, nuts, raisins, or jam.
Note: Lately I’ve been doubling our berry chia jam recipe (https://plantfitmeg.com/2020/07/11/berry-chia-jam/) and making this easy PB and J Mix: 1/4 cup jam with 1 tbsp powdered peanut butter to serve on top of the baked blueberry oats.
© 2020 Plant Fit Meg
3 thoughts on “Recipe: Baked Blueberry Oats with Lentils (Vegan, Whole Food Plant-Based)”
do the lentils come out tender in this recipe? or do they have a bit of a bite to them?
The lentils don’t come out as soft as they are when boiled, but they are still tender.