Pinto beans (or black beans). Salsa. Chili Powder. Cumin. Sliced Pickled Jalapeños.
Refried beans are a staple recipe in our household. After much experimentation, this 5 ingredient recipe is our favourite way to prepare them. The recipe is super simple and comes together in no time! Meg’s Mishmosh Meal for the win! Just add your favourite starch or whole grain, greens, and other vegetables and you’re good to go. Add our nut-free nacho cheese sauce on top for an additional layer of flavour.
Meg's Mishmosh Meal: Refried Beans (Oil Free Vegan)
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 1 can pinto beans (or black beans), drained and rinsed (or about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sliced pickled jalapeños, finely chopped
- Add all ingredients to pan and mix thoroughly.
- Warm over medium-high heat 5-10. minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once beans have softened, mash to desired consistency.
- If the beans start to get dry, add a splash of water or extra salsa and mix again.
- on a bed of greens with rice, salsa, and guacamole
- in a taco, burrito, or wrap with your favourite veggies, nut-free nacho cheese (https://plantfitmeg.com/2021/02/24/recipe-vegan-nut-free-nacho-cheese/), and sriracha
- alongside greens or cauliflower rice with quinoa, topped with corn and shredded carrot