We love to make this super simple gooey vegan cheese! 4-5 pantry ingredients on the stovetop come together really quickly to make this yummy cheesy sauce. We use it for mac and cheese, for pizzas, in our eggplant parmesan, and to top potatoes and other veggies. Make it as gooey or saucy as you prefer by adjusting the amount of plant milk used. Add in other spices to jazz it up as well – Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne pepper.
Gooey Vegan Cheese Sauce-Easy Cheese (Nut free)
by: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 3/4 cup plant milk (unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp corn starch or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional-see note)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk continuously over high heat until thick (about 2-5 minutes).
- If it becomes too thick, add a little more plant milk and whisk again.
- When using this cheese for the Eggplant Parmesan topping, I don’t find the salt to make much of a difference because of all the other flavours going on. Add salt if you enjoy it, and omit if you’d rather not use it.
- We also like to use this cheese on pizza, and on toast with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. It does make the top of the toast slightly spongy, but we have gotten used to the texture since we stopped using vegan butters.