Black Beans. Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP). Onion. Mushrooms. Chili Powder. Cumin.
This recipe is bursting with flavour and is super simple and quick to make! Meg’s Mishmosh Meal for the win! Just add your favourite starch or whole grain, greens, and other vegetables and you’re good to go. Add our nut-free nacho cheese sauce on top for an additional layer of flavour.
Meg's Mishmosh Meal: Black Bean and TVP Taco Filling (Oil Free Vegan)
By: Meg Gray
Plant Fit Meg
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup rehydrated TVP *see note
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- Add onion to pan at medium-high heat. Cook stirring occasionally until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan and mix thoroughly.
- Warm over medium-high heat 5-10. minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add splashes of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- To rehydrate TVP, simply add equal parts water to TVP and soak for 5-10 minutes until rehydrated (ex. 2 cups TVP, 2 cups water). Drain any excess liquid if needed. I prep a bunch at the beginning of the week to have on hand to add to multiple dishes throughout the week. Keep in mind that TVP expands when rehydrated.
- on a bed of greens with rice, salsa, and guacamole
- in a taco, burrito, or wrap with your favourite veggies, nut-free nacho cheese (https://plantfitmeg.com/2021/02/24/recipe-vegan-nut-free-nacho-cheese/), and sriracha
- alongside greens or cauliflower rice with quinoa, topped with corn and shredded carrot
This recipe is featured in my What I Eat in a Day video: